Instagram is launching its popular short-form video-sharing feature, Reels, in the Middle East today starting at 7 pm (GST). Announced at House of Instagram, the latest feature will be a new way for the platform’s community of creators, users and businesses in MENA to create and discover short, entertaining videos. The news follows the introduction of Music on Instagram Stories earlier this month.
Do you sell online? Chances are you do. Join us on March 17th at Campaign Online Briefing event on E-commerce 2021 – Acquisition and Retention to find out how to acquire and retain customers in the fast-changing world of modern e-commerce.🛒💰💻
Reels, which has been rolled out in phases across the globe, enlivens expression and storytelling on Instagram with music and soundtrack to complement short videos. Users can film and edit up to 30-second multi-clip videos with audio, effects, and new creative tools. Users can also share Reels with their followers on the feed. For those with a public account, they can make it available to the wider Instagram community through the dedicated Reels Tab.
Making Reels is intuitive and in line with processes already in place for Stories. Creators can film videos directly on Reels or upload a saved video from the camera roll and use the creative tools to freely edit. Some of Reels’ various fun editing tools include:
- Audio: Search for a song from the Instagram music library. Users can also use original audio by simply recording a video with it. When the video is shared with the original audio, the audio will be attributed to the user. Original music featured on public accounts can also be used by others if they select the “Use Audio” option.
- AR Effects: Select one of the many effects in our effect gallery, created both by Instagram and creators all over the world, to record multiple clips with different effects.
- Timer and Countdown: Set the timer to record clips hands-free. On pressing record, there will be a 3-2-1 countdown, before recording begins for the amount of time selected.
- Align: Line up objects from previous clips before recording the next to help create seamless transitions for moments like outfit changes or adding new friends into the reel.
- Speed: Choose to speed up or slow down part of the video or audio selected. This can help stay on a beat or make slow-motion videos.
- Touch-Up: Adds an overall smoothing effect on the content and the ability to control the intensity level.
Add a cover image, caption and hashtags and the Reels is set to be published!
In addition to sharing to the Reels tab, users also can share videos directly to the feed. A new Reels tab will be then added to the user’s profile, where all their Reels will live. Reels can also be shared with friends via Stories and DM. If the account is public, non-followers can also watch the reel.
The Reels tab is a separate, dedicated space for people to discover short, fun videos from creators or people just like them from around the world. It’s a stage to share creative work with the world, have a chance to break out and find a new audience.
Samer Jamal, Strategic Partner Manager at Instagram MENA said: “Self-expression and versatility are part of the creative DNA of the region’s Gen Z and millennial population. As one of the primary platforms for this group of creators, we have always sought to adapt our features to what they need. With Reels, they now have more leverage when it comes to creating and sharing short-form content. Reels provides our community with greater freedom and flexibility to innovate, experiment and elevate their content, and we cannot wait to discover a new generation of talent via the feature.”