When was the last time you watched traditional linear TV versus video-on-demand? With modern life defined by busy lifestyles, we as consumers increasingly want more control over when we watch TV and how we access content. With this considerable shift of consumers toward OTT streaming platforms, and 2 out of 3 people today saying that they use a second screen while watching TV, advertisers have an unprecedented and exciting opportunity to efficiently and effectively reach their audiences though omnichannel video with Connected TV (CTV). Utilising the power of CTV, which has the benefit of being “smarter” than the traditional televisions that have come before, creates a powerful halo effect for viewers, as ad messaging is viewed on the big screen and then further amplified through desktop and mobile devices.
We asked Amer Attyeh, Managing Director, MENA at VDX.tv, to discuss the potential of this new Medium, the benefits Connected TV offers advertisers, and trends hitting the MENA region.
WHAT IS CTV? WHAT IS OTT?
CTV is a television set that is connected to the Internet via OTT devices, Blu-ray players, streaming box or stick, and gaming consoles, or has built-in internet capabilities (i.e., a Smart TV) and is able to access a variety of long-form and short-form web-based content. OTT, which stands for “over-the-top”, is the delivery of TV content via Web 2.0 across devices. Users are not required to subscribe to traditional cable or satellite providers to watch TV content. Typically, video is delivered in a streaming or video-on-demand (VOD) format. OTT services can be accessed via CTV, as well as through apps on other devices with an internet connection, such as smartphones and tablets.
WHY IS VIDEO ADVERTISING THROUGH CTV AND OTT SO POWERFUL?
We live in a multiscreen world in which audiences move seamlessly between mobile, desktop and television. CTV and OTT allow marketers to keep up with user behaviour, engaging prospects and the people who influence those prospects’ decision-making, with video delivered across all screens. Advertising across CTV and OTT marries the unequivocal storytelling power of video with the sophisticated targeting and measurement capabilities of digital.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE TOP BENEFITS OF ADVERTISING ACROSS CTV AND OTT?
- Go where the people are: As the popularity of OTT video streaming platforms grows, we expect to see a continuing decline in pay-TV. An increasing number of video content consumers in prefer TV services that enable them to watch anywhere, and that offer the same experience across mobile, laptop and tablets.
- Align with a premium environment: Connected TV allows advertisers to associate their brands with premium channels and binge-worthy content.
- Tap unprecedented targeting and personalised messaging: Connected TV is data-driven. Its defining characteristic for marketers is that it allows brands to serve different TV ads to different households—even though they are watching the same show. Using data, you can create and serve personalised messages that reflect household behaviours and dynamically target consumers across multiple screens. Because Connected TV allows for more granular audience targeting, campaigns are more effective and you reduce waste.
- Make omnichannel marketing a reality: Nielsen found that 45% of people sometimes or always use devices while watching TV. For users, moving between screens is second nature, and as such, advertisers need tools for connecting users across channels and devices. Connected TV can help you amplify your message with omnichannel retargeting and creative re-messaging.
- Improve measurement and attribution: The most compelling benefits are performance metrics. Advertisers can escort consumers down the purchasing funnel by targeting households with personalised, trackable offers.
WHAT ARE THE KEY TRENDS IN ADVANCED TV AND VIDEO ADVERTISING ACROSS MENA, AND ARE THEY DIFFERENT FROM GLOBAL TRENDS?
According to eMarketer, the number of subscription OTT video viewers in the Middle East & Africa will grow 31.2% in 2020, making MENA the region with one of the highest growth rates, among Asia-Pacific, Central & Eastern Europe, Latin America, North America and Western Europe. As CTV and OTT advertising environments expand within MENA markets, advertisers have an opportunity to place their creative messaging amongst TV content, while also maximising reach and ROI with ads that are more relevant and targeted than ads on linear TV.
WHAT MAKES VDX.TV’S OMNICHANNEL VIDEO SOLUTION ACROSS DESKTOP, MOBILE AND OTT UNIQUE?
The VDX experience is delivered across all screens, from the biggest screen in the home to the small one in your pocket, with each experience designed specifically for that screen. These ad experiences are served across in-stream/pre-roll within both TV and short-form content; in-read units; and rich in-page display. When working with VDV.tv’s on tailormade video-driven experiences for your ad campaigns, you can expect, proprietary technology, industry expertise, better data, creative support and audience-efficient real-time optimisation that all work together to drive better video advertising that performs.